ONE Championship 77 takes place Friday, July 13 at Axiata Arena in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. The offshore sportsbooks recently released the opening odds for the card, and here they are.
ONE Championship 77 Opening Odds
Agilan Thani -230
Zebaztian Kadestam +170
Tyler McGuire -270
Luis Santos +190
Ariel Sexton -135
Kota Shimoishi -105
Narantungalag Jadambaa -335
Kazuki Tokudome +245
Keanu Subba -125
Xie Chao -115
And my initial thoughts on the odds are as follows:
– Thani (8-1) is one of the top young fighters in ONE FC. The 22-year-old Malaysian has had all of his pro fights take place in ONE, with seven of his eight wins coming by stoppage and his lone loss coming against Ben Askren. Kadestam (9-4) is 1-1 in ONE with a knockout win over Luis Santos and a loss to Askren as well. The 27-year-old Swede has lost three of his last five bouts and hasn’t fought in nearly a year. All signs point to the younger Thani getting the win here and he’s favored for a reason. This fight is the first of two quarterfinal matchups on this card in the ONE welterweight grand prix.
– Santos (64-10-1, 1 NC) is a long-time veteran of the sport who has competed in both the WEC and Bellator amongst other promotion. The 38-year-old Brazilian is 4-1, 1 NC in ONE overall and won his last fight. He is one of the most experienced fighters in the sport and has never really gotten his due. McGuire (10-0) is 32 and the American is making his ONE debut. The majority of his wins have come by tapout, not surprising considering he is a member of Sikjitsu. Despite McGuire’s undefeated record I was still surprised to see him open as the favorite here, and the value is on Santos as the dog at this opening line.
– Sexton (11-4) is a 36-year-old Canadian who has racked up a 3-2 record in ONE. Shimoishi (21-5) is a long-time veteran of Shooto and DEEP and the 31-year-old native of Japan is making his ONE debut. He has been susceptible to chokes throughout his career and that’s why you see Sexton as the favorite here as he should have the edge on the ground.
– Jadambaa (13-5) is a 42-year-old native of Mongolia who has racked up a 5-2 record in ONE. He has a ton of MMA experience going all the way back 15 years when he fought a prime KID Yamamoto, and he is coming off of a KO win over Eric Kelly just last month. Tokudome (18-8-1) is a 31-year-old native of Japan who is best remembered for his stint in the UFC where he went 1-3. This is his ONE debut and he’s making it off of a KO loss. Jadambaa deserves to be slightly favored here but the odds seem a bit too wide for me and I don’t blame anyone for taking a stab at Tokudome.
– Subba (5-3) is a 24-year-old native of Malaysia and is 4-2 overall in ONE, with a submission loss to Christian Lee in his last fight almost a year ago. Xie (9-3) won in his return to ONE back in May to snap a two-fight losing skid. He’s 2-0 all time in ONE. I don’t have a strong lean in this one but would probably go with Xie just due to fighting more recently.